Rebirth of Wrestling
Welcome. Log in or create an account to join in the wrestling discussions

Rebirth of Wrestling

A community for wrestling fans. News and debates on everything wrestling.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome to a new wrestling forum. Sign up and share your opinions on anything concerning the squared circle.
The Broken Niceboard

Share | 

Summerslam

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grecian

PostSubject: Summerslam   Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:54 pm

With WWE supposedly making Summerslam the equivalent of Wrestlemania, the early suggested card is looking pretty darned good so far...

Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar again, but I'm wondering if Bobby Lashley may be added in to make it a triple threat.

AJ vs Joe in what should be an awesome match

Miz vs Bryan looks like it's going to happen, largely due to Bryan still not signing a new contract. Shame it's being rushed through now, but I'd love it if Miz won, then headed into a programme with AJ for the title.

Orton (who's been amazing as a heel the last few weeks) vs Jeff vs Nakamura in a triple threat should be fairly tasty too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:03 pm

Could Mcintyre, Rollins, Ziggler triple threat be on the cards too? Don't see any of them sitting out, and all three are working great together. I'm behind on things but their programme has been one positive thing I've seen. Rollins and Mcintyre's core strength on reversals is crazy, they can bring things to matches that no one else can do right now. If you threw Cesaro in with them, forget about it. It's great to watch

Joe vs AJ is always going to be great.

Randy Orton pulling on Jeff's ear lobes is something you don't see every day in WWE, haven't yet seen how Nakamura is involved other than being champion, but I've enjoyed him low blowing and trying to low blow people for his run to the US title, even when others have not. He is a cheeky cunt about it, which is the Nakamura character. Swag and not caring, but they had to do something to get him there in WWE. His corner choke made no sense in WWE until now, for example. That move is "okay ref, I'll stop doing the bad thing" whilst still choking the opponent. That is Nakamura. Orton has taken over as the real scum bag heel though, doing what Shinsuke does without the playful streak. All business bastard.

Haven't seen what direction SD tag teams are going, but there's enough good performers there for that to be good too.

Both World titles. Both secondary titles. The Women will always be great regardless who matches up, I feel. (Don't know if it's Becky vs Carmella, or Charlotte is added along the way) Rousey vs Bliss, I assume? It looks set to be some show.

And the night before. Ciampa can set the bar. I imagine Joe and Orton will want to be as sadistic against their ultimate babyface opponents. Miz there to be annoying vs his Ultimate babyface too. Thinking about it SD is loaded with matches with proper feuds that fans will easily buy into emotionally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com
Grecian

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:56 pm

SD tag has become a tournament to determine the no 1 contenders. New Day won through to the final, to face The Bar, I think.

Orton's heel turn has been executed beautifully, it really has. He's one of those guys whose tenure has kind of got him over rather than him being a natural face or his moves or charisma, but his turn being about his legacy not being realised has been understated and really nicely done. His ear-pull was a thing of beauty - and I'm surprised him vs AJ's not been done at all yet. I'm wondering if that's being saved for possibly Mania season, if Bryan's not around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:23 pm

I think I remember a one off or possibly two match run with Aj to decide a contender, and it was surprisingly awkward timing in parts, but in other ways it had so much potential.

450 springboard RKO being one of them, or the easier phenomenal RKO.

The one spot I remember was AJ feigned a springboard and dropped back to the apron to get Orton to flinch. I think that was done with the obvious counter ability Orton is perceived to have in mind, so it was a smart bit of psychology. One guy you can't rush in on is Orton, and AJ gets that element. He's supposed to have scouted opponents and is supposed to be seen as one of the best too. It would definitely be a great match up with more time to build something and Orton as a set in stone character, which he hasn't been for ages.

Orton is someone who enjoys wrestling slowly to build reactions too, so it's better for everyone with him heel because he can use people's shorter attention spans as a way to really build annoyance, never letting an AJ type babyface get going at a pace. But it can also help the less experienced faces see the positives in not rushing things just get a quick pop.

Oh and AJ vs Almas a few weeks ago. That was something special. WWE polish, strong style brutality and Zelina Vega reacting to stuff. Those two are so comfortable in their act, whether it's making Sin Cara look great in a loss, or stepping up to Aj's level.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I posted the card and An article but it vanished so here's the card lol...

Universal Championship Match
Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Roman Reigns (PREVIEW)

WWE Championship Match
AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe (PREVIEW)        

Raw Women's Championship Match
Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Ronda Rousey (PREVIEW)

Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens (PREVIEW)

Intercontinental Championship Match
Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. Seth Rollins (PREVIEW)

​​SmackDown Women’s Championship Triple Threat Match
Carmella (c) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch (PREVIEW)

Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz (PREVIEW)

United States Championship Match
Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Jeff Hardy (PREVIEW)

Finn Bálor vs. Constable Baron Corbin (PREVIEW)

SmackDown Tag Team Championship Match
The Bludgeon Brothers (c) vs. The New Day (PREVIEW)

Raw Tag Team Championship Kickoff Match
The B-Team (c) vs. The Revival (PREVIEW)

WWE Cruiserweight Championship Kickoff Match
Cedric Alexander (c) vs. Drew Gulak (PREVIEW)

Mixed Tag Team Kickoff Match
Rusev & Lana vs. Andrade “Cien” Almas & Zelina Vega

Main points were.

Corbin Balor Piss Break.

As big as WM? Running it close I'd say, without the HHH, Cena, Taker types

4 main titles. Check. Big shout out to Carmella. As good a character right now as Edge was?

IC should be up there with AJ vs Joe for quality. Dean Ambrose is back but looks like a scum bag heel in waiting.

Daniel Bryan vs Miz. Will it be as heated as Gargano vs Ciampa feud? In highlight form it has been, throwing back to the old talking smack stuff. In ring they've kept them away well enough for it to be shockingly good, I'd hope.

MITB stuff and lots of good mid card stuff. A good mix of Entertainment, brutality, technical stuff and big rivalries. Should be good
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:47 am

How good does it look when Ronda Rousey picks people up haha. Never seen anything so simple done so well. She's still random as fuck too blurting out stuff in ring. Counting as she punches haha. Asking Alexa if she's ready to take a bump way too loud lol.

Becky is so over. That reaction was immense. Poor Carmella bumping like a champ though for probably no credit from the internet.

AJ vs Joe was good. It looks like a multi match rivalry, so that as a starting point is way better than the nakamura series. Do they need the Cell? Probably not, but it could further AJ going too far in his family's eyes, or Joe's brutal revenge

Ziggler vs Rollins nice and slow build. Crowd maybe waiting for false finishes and mad shit a bit too much I felt it seemed quiet at first.

Daniel Bryan is staying. That's obvious isn't it? I'd have thought different if he won. Miz can be considered number one contender elect. So they aren't doing Bryan vs AJ at a small show to cash in on that. Maybe Miz can get between AJ vs Joe and sneak away with the title at some point. In a perfect world I'd book Bryan to leave at the 'end of his contract' and stay off tv until the rumble

(It's actually Daniel and Brie vs Miz and Maryse next... Should have figured that with the brass knucks finish)

Roman won.
Back to top Go down
Grecian

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:23 pm

I really enjoyed it, thought it was a really good show. I'm not too sure about Strowman though, saying he's not taking the easy cash-in and then saying he'd face the winner of Reigns vs Lesnar on the night (although last night's Raw says he's not taking the easy cash-in!).

Match of the night for me was the Charlotte vs Carmella vs Becky, a great match. Carmella has improved so much, she just gets her character and what she's about.

Bryan losing - isn't it traditional for people to lose on their way out? Putting the new guy over? Made sense in terms of the story though, and Miz is just so, so hatefully good.

Highlight of the show for me was Joe's 'I'll be your daddy now!' line. Beautiful!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:04 am

Yeah I think I agree about match of the night. I think all the top level women are really showing how to get fan reactions more than "this is awesome - holy shit" they get proper full blooded pops consistently.

I pray the writers fight to have Becky do something other than bait the crowds to get a few boos. She became a fully complex character on Summerslam night, a money making character. Its weird to have her say she did it in spite of fans when everyone is clearly saying go get it girl haha. When fans buy in to someone reaching a breaking point and collectively saying "we understand and still support you" it's MONEY.

Either way she cut a long and coherent promo on SD. And didn't keep repeating how she's going to lace up those boots, tape up those hands...

I think it was probably WWE's best weekend of events in a while. Everything on Summerslam was what it was supposed to be, Balor Corbin would have been the piss break but even that turned into a cool moment.

I think they planned everything perfectly, to the point of even the random DQ in the tag led to WWE ending the 4 day event with New Day winning on SD as the last moment for the fans who spent the week there. Really smart way of sending people home happy.

Tradition yes, but you know it's not over because it was a storyline loss. If he beat Miz clean he'd have faced AJ on SD lost, then left.

Joe's line. Jeff and Nakamura swagger and the apron Swanton. Becky Lynch turn. Ronda treating Bliss like she's made of cardboard. The Demon heartbeats. Seth and Ziggler's nice pace match and some lovely spots. All good stuff

Strowman was booked weird but I got it. He got stunned a bit so didn't cash in, next night was pissed off so wanted to cash in regardless of what He SAID, now he's pissed at the shield so has given over the case to make sure he gets Roman in a cell match to make him pay. Or whatever.

The best thing about this is now Corbin is the GM he can make the Cell match and keep the case for himself... cash in and lose 2 years in a row hahaha!

All without Strowman losing out on the actual match he's due and fans moaning. Genius
Back to top Go down
Grecian

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 pm

Jeff's apron swanton looked nasty as hell. I really think he's on a farewell tour at the moment, especially now that he's got a Hell in a Cell match vs Orton. I remember him saying how much he wanted to have a Cell match before retiring - he's going to swanton off the top of it, isn't he?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:25 am

I think he might go for the tables and ladder on top of the Cell spot. I think they tried a mini version of it in tna. If Orton is okay with that kind of thing.

I think Jeff had an idea to do something with some connection to when he lost to Punk and his mangled body turned into Undertaker too haha.

Typing that actually made me think of the weird shit he did in tna with Abyss too. He got gutted by that weapon abyss has once lol. If they give him any creative control it could be weird as hell

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summerslam   

Back to top Go down

Summerslam
Page 1 of 1