Rebirth of Wrestling
Welcome. Log in or create an account to join in the wrestling discussions

Rebirth of Wrestling

A community for wrestling fans. News and debates on everything wrestling.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome to a new wrestling forum. Sign up and share your opinions on anything concerning the squared circle.
The Broken Niceboard

Share | 

205 Live thread

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grecian

PostSubject: 205 Live thread   Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 pm

WWE have released the brackets for the rest of the tournament...:

Quarter-Finals
* Cedric Alexander vs. TJP
* Roderick Strong vs. Kalisto
* Mustafa Ali vs. Buddy Murphy
* Drew Gulak vs. Mark Andrews

Semi-Finals
* Cedric Alexander or TJP vs. Roderick Strong or Kalisto
* Mustafa Ali or Buddy Murphy vs. Drew Gulak or Mark Andrews

Finals at WrestleMania 34
* Cedric Alexander or TJP or Roderick Strong or Kalisto
vs.
* Mustafa Ali or Buddy Murphy or Drew Gulak or Mark Andrews

Has to be Cedric or Kalisto vs Buddy Murphy or Gulak, surely?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:21 am

Not the star power I was expecting. But for me the most interesting match would be Gulak vs Alexander. Yet to see Buddy Murphy in this division so I'll reserve judgement.

Having nightmares of TJP vs Mark Andrews now though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com
Grecian

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I thought Mark Andrews was terrible. Couldn't believe he beat Tozawa!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm

At first I just didn't like his persona and general cringey move names and his face. But now I just really don't like his work style. The lack of important basics in some guys matches makes me worry wrestling is dying. But then Pete Dunne vs Roderick Strong on nxt the next day made me breathe a sigh of relief Smile
Back to top Go down
boschbourne06

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:29 am

how is 205 live now since Spud has joined cos Triple H has took over that when he debuted and has full control of it like NxT and if he turns it anything like Nxt I think the cruisers would be worth watching again like the Cruiser classic tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm

2 matches per week. Some limited backstage stuff with guys who can do it. Vignettes! Vignettes! Vignettes!

Spud is great on screen. They made Buddy Murphy relevant with one vignette. There is a better feel. But I prefer when the guys who I can bear to watch work are on, obviously. Gulak. Strong etc. I'm emotionally invested in Gulak beating Mark Andrews, which is a good thing for wrestling to have. Last week was Ali and I cant remember. I still struggle to get in to his matches, they don't feel like wrestling matches because he kind of walks around the ring unconvinceingly when not doing moves or selling. Just looks too staged. But yeah, worth checking out parts. It's easier to consume when the matches have a reason to why they have been booked in kayfabe. Its not just guys falling out unconvinceingly to give them an excuse to book something.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fergie22

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Neville is back talking to wwe about a return, night after WM is rumoured.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Challenging Nakamura hopefully though. Neville can work a great match, has the look they like, and has character. I think his work with Finn in NXT provided some of my favourite WWE output. Proper slow starts building to quality. The period where they allowed tentative builds and more chain wrestling than usual.

It's unlikely that would happen if he did walk out. But I'm still sceptical on if he really did because thats career suicide. I think he maybe actually challenged Vince, like no one else bothers to, and he's now had time to recover from the tough schedule and is ready to make the company some money. There's not many like him, unless you class him as a muscle bound guy with black hair and a beard lol.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
boschbourne06

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:54 pm

If Neville does return I strongly believe they have to push him minimum IC Or US title run he’s proved he can do it and was one of the best heels around at the time showed he can be a great character from his dull baby face run.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 pm

He lived the gimmick too. As far as his social presence. I think he knows his value and knows he's a draw, and maybe convinced someone that he should be doing more than trying to make Enzo look good. And WWE realised how toxic Enzo was, as we know lol.

If we all admit the future of WWE apart from the odd break out is in smaller guys, then Neville is fully capable of being this generations HHH type character. We'd not flinch If he was challenging for titles. And I don't think casual fans would fail to take him seriously either now he isn't a cape clad side show as the little one in a world of big mean men.
Back to top Go down
Grecian

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:38 am

Cedric's in the final. Second semi between Gulak and Ali next week.

It's still got 'pre-show' written all over it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Yeah. I'd not be surprised if they go with Ali vs Cedric and attempt a real spot heavy insane match to get people going. But I'd prefer the cerebral Gulak vs Alexander tactical styles clash battle in this instance. Have Alexander get as physical as Drew to overcome him in the end. But both would probably be good. It still feels like in WWE these are just the small try hard guys. Wheras in New Japan there are legit major draws who are technically cruiserweights. It's just how the company treats them. At least 205 has important feeling vignettes since HHH took charge. But still the guys feel stuck at a level instead of being the "elite cruiserweights".

I wrote a random write up of my response to one of the last weeks quarter final episodes too. So... PASTE

Cruiserweight tournement

Mark Andrews is first out. My initial thought as he prances down to the ring to his own bands music... I wish this was shootfighting so Gulak could destroy him. I feel like this is the reaction we should have to him though. He is such a hateable character. I love caring enough to want him to lose, so it’s great even though I hate his whole deal.

Dasha Interview with Drew. Paraphrased. Your match is moments away, how do you plan on combating his aerial game? If i wanted to tell you something i’d do a PowerPoint presentation, but I don’t. I haven’t even opened Microsoft office in weeks. (Lol) But you want to know how I’m going to combat his aerial game?... Watch. This.

This ups the excitement for the match. I know it won’t happen, but a dragon sleeper within 10 seconds would satisfy me.

Good commentary lead in by the new guy. “What a statement made. And well, last time we saw Drew Gulak he SNAPPED. Making his friend Tony Nese pass out”

Nigel McGuinness adding “I’m definitely ready to WATCH THIS. You said it, he made his friend Tony Nese submit, so what’s he going to do vs the Welshman Mark Andrews”

It’s these little details that make a wrestling show good and easy to follow for any level of fan. Setting the stories up. Making guys credible. And natural unforced repetition of key elements. They also name check to get talent over. They’ve said everyone involved with all the build up’s names a lot in a short space of time during the entrances. Drilling home the talent’s names and gimmick.

The Facials. Gulak looks like a killer. Andrew looks a bit timid, then he looks cocky? Hmm...

Lock ups around the ring, a corner break and a big open palm strike to Andrews. Who attempts to look angry. I get it now, he’s not good at that stuff.

Extremely aggressive wrist lock from Gulak. Lucha escape. I’m not going to carry on reviewing this match live move for move because I’m liking the build.

Commentary mention how Andrews studied tape of Gulak when learning different “cruiserweight” styles. American Shooter style I guess. “and look how Andrews turned out. That's a slap in the face to Gulak” - Nigel Mcguiness haha.

Gulak took over early as the stronger and more physical technician.

It always makes me laugh when guys do extremely slow forward rolls into random moves ahhh lol. So Stupid haha

I definitely prefer when Gulak is on the offensive. There’s less waiting in position to catch Andrews and because he does lucha style moves there’s a lot of counter balance and timing is key to not drop him so it kind of slows down the sequences. At times makes it too obviously staged, which just hurts the experience.

Hurricanrana from the apron to the floor was a bit of a better spot. A split second of Gulak waiting but it was after some stomps and punches.

End sequence. Andrews on the top rope, Gulak Hipster Beard grab Andrews fights him off. Gulak smacks him with a Lariat reversal of his dive. Picks him upfor two more lariats. Gies for a suplex, reversal in to a stun dog millionaire (ughh) which made a bit more sense as a move for once. But Andrews doesn’t pin, he goes for the 450 dive and gets two knees in his chest and chin. Dragon sleeper. Quick tap. And Drew won’t release the hold.

The chain wrestling and the finish were the probably best bits. Thank God Gulak won.

Vignette!
Mustafa Ali has a cool video where he acts like he’s dark and mysterious DareDevil type. I hope he’s more believable in the ring now because he has something about him. Does Insane spots and he’s got a marketable look for kids. And he’s one of the first “middle east looking types” to actually be billed from where he’s from... Chicago.

Roddy Strong suplexing a heavy bag Vignette! Just one win away from Mania. As are Alexander and Gulak.

Tag match ignored

Murphy vs Ali. Pretty decent match. Both looked good. Ali has advanced quite a bit since looking like he’s walking around then doing some big moves. Everything flowed better, and felt a little more legit. The 450 to Murphy’s arm was the big moment, until then he dominated, after that he struggled. Simple story done well. Murphy sold the botched finish where he couldn’t lift Ali for a split second, and Ali got the arm hooked and rolled him up for the pin.

That was that 205 live reviewed More in depth than it needed to be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 205 Live thread   

Back to top Go down

205 Live thread
Page 1 of 1